Swingarm Conversion

Home
HONDA XR XL MT MTX
NOS XR XL CR Parts
XR & XL Seat Logo Stencils
Honda Backgrounds Decals
H3 Halogen Dual Filament 12v 35w/55w bulbs
XR250 Restoration
XR350 Restoration
Yamaha Backgrounds
Kawasaki Seat Covers Backgrounds
Gallery
Contact Me/Guestbook
USD Conversion
Swingarm Conversion
Engine Re-Paint
Dual Mufflers
New Parts Fitted
XR Tests and Honda Brochure
Links to other sites
Video clips.
My Location
About me
South Wales BSMA / Abergavenny AMCA Motorcross
Ozy

Whilst restoring the old XR, I'd read about numerous people swapping their swingarms  to have a rear disc. I didn't want to go the rear disc route but I liked the look of the aluminium swingarm and the less likely-hood that it corrodes into oblivion!
 
As it happens I acquired a brand new swingarm, brand new linkage and a used swingarm for a 1985 XR600 and set to work.
 
Using the used swingarm to check measurements, I could see I'd need spacers for the points between the frame pivots and a spacer for the rear wheel.
 
The other important point was the rear brake panel; where it locates onto the tab of the swingarm. Having the wheel aligned centrally in the XR600 swingarm, the brake panel didn't engage the tab.
 
So, after having the aluminium spacers lathed up for the frame pivot and rear wheel, I could now get the correct length of aluminium made for the tab to be welded onto the swingarm.
 
Whilst I had the wheel out, I put some new bearings in.
 
I'm pleased with the job I've done and to be honest I dont feel any noticeable difference in the handling whilst riding.The XR600 swingarm is longer than the XR250 one.
 
Click each picture to see a larger version.

a9.jpg

This is the used XR600 swingarm I was using as a guide.

a10.jpg

This shows where I had to make a spacer for the frame pivot.

a12.jpg

The original "smaller" tab that I cut off the new swingarm.

a13.jpg

The new "longer" tab to be welded in place.

a15.jpg

Tab welded on.

a14.jpg

This shows where a spacer needed to go.

a16.jpg

Aluminium spacer in place.

a18.jpg

a17.jpg

a11.jpg

All the new parts I bought for the conversion.

 
 

Web Analytics

Clicky